|By: Don Monell (email@example.com)|
Connect on LinkedIn
There are many great tools that Facebook offers to help maximize your ad spend and marketing dollars. It is certainly at the top of my list as it allows you to directly target your existing email and direct mail channel. You can instantly be doubling or tripling your marketing channels. Plus web and app activity can be targeted.
You can find the whole suite of services easily but using the drop down arrow to the far right of the Facebook navigation bar.
Click there and scroll down to Create Ads. This will take you to the Ads Manager page. Once there click on the 3 lines next to Ads Manager where you will see Audiences under the Asset column. Next click on Create Audience and choose Custom Audience from the drop down menu. Below is a brief description of the 5 options you will find.
- Customer File – This can be customers or prospects where you have an email, phone or name an address. You upload the records directly into Facebook. Facebook anonymizes the data and then matches it against Facebook users. When completed Facebook returns the size of your Custom Audience. The entire process takes about two hours on average.
What data can you include?
- Email Address
- Phone Number (include country code)
- First Name
- Last Name
- Date of Birth
- Mobile Advertiser ID
- Facebook App User ID
2) Website Traffic – lets you pull traffic from a specific website and then create a Facebook custom audience.
All you need is a website and people on it. You don’t need to know anything about your visitors – they just need to come on to your page.
In order to target that audience, you need something called the FACEBOOK PIXEL. It is essentially a special tracking code that you put within your page and Facebook will then recognize the visitors and automatically add them to your website custom audiences.
If installed properly the Pixel can track all sorts of activity with slight variations of its code. If not familiar with it, maybe you should advise with a developer on how to change portions of code to maximize the amount of tracking.
3) App Activity – App Activity quickly became one of the most important ways to track and add your custom audiences. Nowadays mobile is the dominating platform for Facebook ads and it is only logical for you to create a custom audience based on app activity.
The first step is to choose the application you want to target. If you have a shopping application you can easily target people who added an item to the cart – but never bought it. Try targeting those people with a coupon discount ad and see what happens.
You can create audiences based on the action they do or don’t do within an application. There are several actions – or non-actions that you can target your audience. Find what suits you the most and start building this kind of custom audience.
4) Offline Activity – This is the newest Facebook custom audience feature. You can use your offline event data to create audiences for your advertising campaigns. It’s similar to Customer File audience creation in that you upload records from offline events.
For example, you can retarget high-value customers, or exclude customers who recently made purchases offline in order to find new customers. There is also an API that can collect data from POS, call center or CRM systems.
The best benefit of all is that with the new conversion tracking feature you’ll be able to measure offline attribution.
5) Engagement – This Facebook custom audience feature has recently been updated and it lets you target people based on which action they took when they interacted with your ads or Facebook page.
When clicked on, you are asked what kind of engagement you want to use to create this kind of audience.
- Video – If you create an ad with a video you can target people who watched that video on Facebook or Instagram.
- Lead form – If you are in the business of marketing you probably know what Lead Ads are. With this option, it is possible to target people who opened or completed a form on your Lead ad on Facebook or Instagram.
- Fullscreen Experience – Formerly Canvas engagement. You can target all the people who interact with your collection ad or Canvas on Facebook.
- Facebook Page – This captures any interaction with your page.
- Instagram business profile – A new feature that captures people who have interacted with your Instagram business profile.
- Event – Another new feature to capture interactions with events on Facebook
So as you can see there are many options in building out custom audiences based on a myriad of interactions. And there will be more to come.
My recommendation for social advertising? Dive In!! It’s affordable, scalable and can be highly targeted through real engagement.